Wednesday, September 21, 2011

choice of medium

For my coursework, I have chosen charcoal and pastel as the medium.

Firstly, I choose charcoal because it is very expressive. It can create various tone of black, which add gradient of depth to the drawings. It matches with my theme as well. As the black symbolizes negative emotions, it thus represents the sadness and sorrow people suffered from disaster and lose of hope. Also, charcoal can create different textures easily as well. If we want to create a softer tone and texture, just blend the lines and shading.

Then, I choose pastel of the similar reasons. The pastels can create a similar texture as the charcoal. It is expressive as well. It is also very coulourful. The vibrant coulours can thus symbolize hope, where people longing to have a brighter and better future ahead. The pastel can also blend nicely and create an obscure setting.

I want to use charcoal and pastel to create a contrast between coloured and black and white. The coloured objects will then symbolize hope, and the black objects will represent suffering and lose of hope. By doing so, I think the viewer could understand the work easier as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment